Electrical and gas safety campaign warns of DIY dangers

Industry news

When unlicensed people do electrical or gas fitting work, the consequences can be fatal. That's why Building and Energy are running a 'Don't DIY' safety campaign with messages on radio, social media and video.

In announcing the campaign, Building and Energy said that in the past six years, at least three people in WA have died from electrocution related to amateur electrical work.

DIY electrical work can also cause fires and blasts, while unlicensed gas fitting work can result in gas leaks, explosions or carbon monoxide exposure. As the campaign says, DIY can easily become DIE.

Not only is DIY electrical and gas fitting work highly dangerous, it is aso totally illegal. There may also be property damage and liability and insurance issues.

The announcement quotes WA’s Director of Energy Safety, Saj Abdoolakhan, as saying, "By law, no one should work on electrical or gas installations at your home or business unless they are a licensed electrician or a licensed gasfitter."

"These licence holders have completed years of training and experience to be able to handle hazardous situations and deliver safe and compliant work. Never attempt your own gas or electrical work – it could cause death or serious injury to you or others."

The campaign video is on the Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety’s YouTube channel.

To read the full announcement, see ‘Don’t DIY’ electrical and gas safety campaign.

A licence search can be carried out at demirs.wa.gov.au or via the Service WA app to check or find a licensed electrical contractor, gas fitter and other occupations.