Winter gas safety reminder for consumers

Industry news

WA’s Director of Energy Safety has issued a media statement urging consumers to be aware of carbon monoxide risks and get their gas heaters serviced by a licensed gas fitter at least every two years, or annually if the equipment is more than 10 years old.

Energy Safety is part of the Building and Energy Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. Every winter, they publish a safety reminder about the dangers associated with faulty gas heaters and other appliances and the range of issues a properly qualified gas fitter can find.

The media statement also urges consumers to ensure adequate ventilation when using gas heaters and avoid using exhaust fans at the same time as open-flued gas heaters, because this can pull carbon monoxide into living spaces.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless and tasteless toxic gas that can kill. The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning range from flu-like symptoms (such as headaches, fatigue and nausea) through to heart irregularities, vomiting, seizures and collapse.

See the media statement from the Director of Energy Safety.