Understanding 'notifiable incidents' and what to do when one occurs

Laws, regulations & standards

If you are a 'person conducting a business or undertaking' (PCBU) in WA, you must report any 'notifiable incident' to WorkSafe.

In general terms, a PCBU means an employer. The duty to report 'notifiable incidents' arises from the Work Health and Safety Act 2020.

WorkSafe, which is part of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS), says there are three categories of 'notifiable incident'.

  • The death of a person
  • A serious injury or illness of a person
  • A dangerous incident

WorkSafe provides a list of definitions and examples to explain what they mean by 'serious injury or illness' and 'dangerous incident'. While most are obvious, such as any injury that requires immediate treatment as an in-patient in a hospital, or treatment for a serious head injury, eye injury, burn, spinal injury or laceration, the list covers many possibilities. We recommend you take a few minutes to look over their explanation of types of serious illness or injury.

It is important to note that you must report serious psychological injuries, including any resulting from sexual assault or harassment.

Plumbers in particular should also note that the list of serious illnesses or diseases includes any infection related to working with micro-organisms or human body substances.

How to make a report

To report a workplace related death or a life-threatening injury, illness or incident, call 1800 678 198.

To report a non-life-threatening injury, illness or incident, use the appropriate online reporting form available here.

For more information about 'notifiable incidents'

For everything about what you must report and what WorkSafe requires, see WorkSafe's report an incident information.

We also recommend you download this WorkSafe poster.