Social and health issues prevalent at the turn of the 19th century provided the catalyst for what is now the MPGA. With sanitation and clean water in short supply, public health and safety became an increasingly important issue. The Perth & District Master Plumbers’ Association was created in August 1901 to service the community.
Driven by a changing industry and a membership actively seeking advice and information, the Association experienced several name changes.
- 1936 The Master Plumbers & Sheetmetal Workers Association of Western Australia
- 1942 The Master Plumbers Association of Western Australia
- 1981 The Master Plumbers and Mechanical Services Association of Western Australia
- 2001 The Master Plumbers and Gasfitters Association of Western Australia
In 1973, under the presidency of Mr. George Marston, the Association employed professional staff for the first time. Occurring in conjunction with the Master Painters Association, the WAMPA Joint Venture was also formed. Leaving Construction House which they had shared with the Master Builders Association, WAMPA moved to Wellington Street in West Perth.
In 1982, the joint venture moved to their current location, a new, purpose built headquarters called the MPA Centre at 106/108 Caledonian Avenue in Maylands.
Careful planning and consideration for the future - combined with tremendous effort by the Executive team and membership body – has been the hallmark of MPGA. The Master Plumbers and Gasfitters Association of Western Australia remains the only dedicated organisation concerned with the future viability of the plumbing industry. With over 100 years of success behind us, continual improvement of our industry is our goal for the next 100 years.